I hear more complaints about email than just about anything else. It seems to be a challenge for all of us. Here are a few common sense tips that may be helpful:
- Don’t use email for conflicts or sensitive issues. Face-to-face is a much better approach.
- Be judicious in whom you copy. Be reluctant to hit “reply all.”
- Keep them short and to the point. Focus on one issue or question.
- Use an informative subject line.
- If possible, put entire message on subject line, to wit: “Staff meeting has been moved from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.”
- Be careful not to sound terse or angry, especially if you supervise others. Use person’s name in message to soften it.
- Take yourself off of unwanted email lists
- Resist opening emails as they arrive. Turn off notification sound. Set certain times to process email. It is much more efficient!
Give it a try and see what happens. Want to know more or need some help getting started? Let us know.